A further 27 cases of COVID-19 were diagnosed in Hunter New England Local Health District (HNEH) residents in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.
Hunter New England Population Health public health physician, David Durrheim said this brings the total number of cases in the district to 351 since August 5, 2021.
Of the new cases:
- Eight are from Lake Macquarie LGA, seven are from Maitland LGA, seven are from Newcastle LGA, three are from Cessnock LGA, and two are from Port Stephens LGA.
- Twelve cases were infectious in the community and three are still under investigation.
- Eleven cases are linked to known exposures or clusters, the source of 16 cases is under investigation.
There has been a sewage detection of COVID-19 viral fragments in Glen Innes sewage catchment, which may indicate undetected cases. Anyone in this community with any respiratory symptoms should immediately get tested and isolate while they wait for their results.
"As the State edges closer towards 80 per cent first dose, HNEH thanks those who have already come forward for vaccination," Dr Durrheim said.
"With more vaccine on its way, we urge members of the community who are yet to receive a vaccine do so as soon as they have the opportunity."
A number of new casual contact venues have been confirmed. The latest exposure sites are published on the HNE Health Facebook page and the NSW Government website. Anyone who attended any of the following new venues listed on the specified dates and times is a casual contact (unless they have been contacted by NSW Health as close contacts) and must get tested and isolate until a negative test result is received.
- Woolworths, Toronto on Saturday 11 September from 5.20pm - 6.25pm
- Coles Express Petrol Station, Merewether on Friday 10 September from 8pm - 9pm
- IGA, Wangi Wangi Friday 10 September from1.30pm to 1.45pm
- Office Works, Warners Bay Wednesday 8 September from 4.30pm and 5pm
- Diggers Bottle Shop, Hamilton South Friday 10 September from 1.40 pm to 1.45 pm
- Newcastle Central Plaza, Newcastle West Wednesday 8 September from 6.45pm to 10:50am the following day (Thursday 9 September)
- PETQuarters, Taylors Beach Sunday 12 September from 10.20am to 10.45am
- Newcastle Courthouse, Friday 10 September from 9.30am to 12pm (Main entry area on ground floor, level 2, and court room 2.1)
- 7-Eleven, Heatherbrae Wednesday 8 September from 10pm to 10.05pm
- Wangi Wangi Bakehouse Sunday 5 September from 11.35am to 11.40am
- Chemist Warehouse, Mayfield Saturday 11 September from 12.45pm to 1.05pm
NSW Health contacts close contacts of all confirmed cases and directs them to be tested and self-isolate for 14 days from last contact, regardless of the result.
Dr Durrheim said anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms such as fever, sore throat, cough or shortness of breath, is urged to immediately get tested. "Even people with mild symptoms, such as fatigue, new muscle aches or pains, headache, a change in taste or smell or a new runny nose, should arrange testing as quickly as possible."
All testing sites can be located via www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/health-and-wellbeing/clinics. Those who have also attended any of the exposure sites listed on the HNE Health Facebook page and the NSW Government website at the specified times and dates should also seek testing, regardless if they have symptoms or not and follow the NSW Health directions.
Dr Durrheim said it is also important that anyone who is currently isolating in the community with COVID-19, calls for an ambulance should they experience a deterioration in their condition, including breathlessness and dizziness.
Hunter New England Health continues to urge eligible people to come forward for vaccination (providing they are not cases, contacts of cases, are not isolating, and do not have symptoms). People can check their eligibility and make bookings via the Commonwealth Government's COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Finder
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.