Forty three projects completed, 19 still in construction and six to be carried over.
These are the overall results of MidCoast Council's 2019/2020 capital works program, which was accepted and noted by councillors at the July 22 council meeting
This result was achieved with a larger than ever before program and in a tough year where drought, fire and COVID-19 all impacted on delivery at various stages.
Of the 19 projects currently under construction, 17 will be completed by Sept 2020 and all will be completed by November 2020.
The six projects that were scheduled for delivery in the financial year 2019/20 that haven't commenced are:
- Farquhar St, Wingham - in a multi-year program for upgrade of Wingham Streets, our Operations North team started with Primrose St and have progressed slower than anticipated due to terrible subgrade conditions. It is best to leave this project with internal teams due to likely similar subgrade conditions and the potential for variations.
- Gunyah causeway, Bobin - not necessarily a risk to users, however scheduled for improvement for many years. Operations North scheduled to head to this site after Little Cedar Party Bridge which did start later than anticipated due to Milbai Bridge taking longer than anticipated.
- Cornwall, Marathon, Olympia St, Taree - Operations North heading to this site imminently. Accumulation of delays at various urban rehabilitation projects pushed this combined project into FY20/21 and is a project suited to internal operations rather than contract.
- Nowendoc Road, Mt George - identification of naturally occurring asbestos at this site has required a comprehensive management plan to be developed, causing delays to commencement. Originally planned for Operations North team to deliver, they have now been redeployed to The Bucketts Way strategy program and this project will be contracted quarter 4, 2020.
- Wattley Hill Rd - this project suited for internal delivery is assigned to Operations South. Delays throughout the year have resulted in commencement of this project at the completion of The Lakes Way, Mayers Flat project scheduled for August 2020.
- Tea Tree Creek Bridge - This bridge will be replaced by Operation South in conjunction with the Wattley Hill Road project.
- Queen Street, Gloucester - Reconstruction between Church and Barrington Streets commenced in mid-May. Stage 1 works are underway with the northern side of Queen Street pavement being reconstructed. Eire Constructions have been proactively facilitating vehicle and pedestrian movements through the worksite to support local business operations, with positive feedback being received through Council's Engagement Team.
- Cornwall / Marathon / Olympia Streets, Taree - Kerb and gutter works commencing in early July and completion in August. Works will be done in two stages, kerb and gutter in the first stage and road pavement in the second.
- Primrose Street, Wingham - Reconstruction between Farquhar Street and Cagnet Street. Works are progressing slowly due to poor subgrade issues, a recent pause in work occurred while approach road work for Little Cedar Party Creek Bridge was completed.
- Black Head Road, Hallidays Point - from Diamond Beach Rd towards village to the current extent of kerb and gutter. Preliminary works commenced in late June, with a pause programmed for the school holidays to minimise impact to tourist traffic.
- Hannam Vale Road, Moorland - Reconstruction of 1020m length. Works have commenced with widening of the road pavement, completion programmed for early August.
- The Branch Lane, The Branch - Extension of bitumen seal by 1km. The original program of works has been completed with a bitumen seal. An additional length of approximately 1.4km has been added onto this project, sealing was completed in late June with table drains and other works completed in early July.
- The Lakes Way, Mayers Flat - Works have commenced and are programmed to be completed in late July.
- Avalon Road, Krambach - Works are underway with work currently focussed around Fire Station Road. Works are programmed to be completed in August.
- The Thunderbolts Way, Barrington - Pavement rehabilitation of Argyle Street. Works have commenced and programmed to be completed in August.
- Gloucester Road, Burrell Creek - Works commenced in May and is programmed for completion in August. Works are in two sections, one of 600m and the other 700m long.
- The Lakes Way, Rainbow Flat - Pavement reconstruction of 780m length immediately north of Black Head Rd intersection. Night asphalt works commenced in late June and will be completed in early July.
- Old Bar Rd, Old Bar - Pavement reconstruction and minor improvements to streetscape between David Street and Sheppard Street. Works will be predominantly finished prior to the school holidays.
- Little Cedar Party Creek, Comboyne Road - Operations North construction team completed this project in late June.
- Emu Creek, Booral Road - Deck has been poured, preparing for parapet construction. Works expected to be completed in July.
- Burrell Creek, Kimbriki Road - Practically complete. Approach roadworks sealed, installation of guardrail mid-July.
- Bungwahl Creek, Possum Brush Road - The new bridge has been opened to traffic while minor works (guardrail etc.) being completed, programmed for mid-July.
- Kundle Creek, Wallanbah Road - Road approaches being sealed, demolition of the old bridge will be undertaken in late July.
- Wards River, Tereel Road - Abutments and piers are now complete, placement of deck beams Friday 3rd July.
- Diamonds Bridge, Mooral Creek Road - Opened to traffic, minor housekeeping works to complete.
- Reltons Bridge, Johnsons Creek Road - Piling completed, construction of abutments commenced.
- McQueens Bridge, Nowendoc Road - Abutment piles bored and works have started for pier piles.
- Deep Creek Bridge, Wherrol Flat Road - Temporary bridge now operating, demolition of the old bridge on the new alignment about to be demolished.
- Browns Creek Bridge, Bunyah Rd - services being relocated currently with mobilisation to site late July for bridge works.
- Falls Bridge - Design being finalised.
- Bundacree Creek, Minimbah - Design ready for installation by Southern Operations.
- Teatree Creek, Wattley Hill Road - Design ready for installation by Southern Operations.
Other internal council works
- Tea Gardens Waste Transfer Station, Weighbridge Installation - commissioning of the weighbridge occurred in June.
- Dredge Tender - Myall River dredging, works have commenced and is on program, Farquhar is targeting a July commencement once licence/permit is issued.
Panel Contract Utilisation
Update on usage of panel contracts in regards to major projects/works:
Minor Civil Works
- The Bucketts Way, Tinonee. Project shortly to go out to RFQ for works to commence ASAP.
- No new works initiated.
Water and Wastewater Asset Renewal Programs FY19/20
- Sewer Pump Renewals Program - One pump installed at Stroud SPS 02.
- Sewer Pump Station Renewals Program - Replacement access lids installed at Gloucester.
- Water Mains Renewal Program - Mains renewal at Condell Place Forster completed and mains replacement at Bangalow Road, Coopernook and Queen Street, Cundletown commenced.
- Water Treatment Plant Renewals Program - Installation of boundary fencing replacement completed at Gloucester.
Water and Wastewater Major Capital Projects
- Bootawa Water Pump Station 1A, Building Renewal Works - Continued review and update of job specification and project budget estimate. Updated and completed project management plan.
- Forster Sewer Pump Station No.18, Backup generator - Re-tender released to marketplace. Draft tender evaluation plan and "ready to implement" gateway health check prepared.
- Sewer Pump Station Stair access platforms - Structural Steel workshop drawings completed and approved. Manufacture of stairs completed & galvanised.
- Switchboard Renewals Program - Continued preparation of standard drawing packages for switchboards. Evaluation underway for protection grading assessment, arc fault containment and three phase circuit currents.
- Sewer Treatment Plant Chemical Systems Renewals - Finalised overall concept report. Completed technical note of Scope of Works (SoW) at Hawks Nest Sewer Treatment Plant. Completed project management plan and conducted initial meeting with procurement team regarding procurement strategy.
- Water Treatment Plant Chemical Systems Upgrades - Completed WAE documentation at Bulahdelah. Commissioned the new chlorine gas at Stroud WTP including completing the emergency site plan.
- Gloucester Reservoir & Associated Mains - Commenced Value Management Study. Detailed design scope of works is out for tender. Finalising Review of Environmental Factors study.
- Gloucester Sewerage Treatment Plant Replacement - Options workshop completed and final draft options report including recommendations issued to stakeholders. Phase 2 of the river survey is nearing completion with results being supplied to consultant for analysis.
- Gloucester Water Treatment Plant Upgrade - Work continued on WAE drawings and finalisation activities.
- Hawks Nest Sewer Treatment Plant, Septic Bypass - Final SCADA integration is underway.
- Hallidays Point SPS 13 & Rising Main - Work continues on installation of rising main. Geotechnical investigation completed and report provided. Updating of SoW and job specification commenced for the Pump station tender. Easement creation is being undertaken and switchboard design commenced with consultant.
- Manning Point Sewer Treatment Plant, Blower Renewals - Commenced electrical installation and mechanical lead in work. Commenced finalisation activities.
- Tallwoods, Communication Tower - Finalisation activities completed. Project has been completed.
- Pacific Palms Sewage Treatment Plant, Stage 1 - Reviewed and commented on initial proposed emergency storage pond rectification design drawings. Grouting trial undertaken. Second emergency storage pond design drawing received.
- SCADA Digital Network Upgrade Manning Water - Project completed.
- Asset Signage Renewals - Tender documentation developed. Standard drawing update has commenced following feedback from stakeholders.
- Nabiac, Borefield Stage 1B - Electrical drawing packages loaded into document management system, project completed.
- Blackhead Road, Water Main Replacement - Pipe laying continued.
- Nabiac, Mobile Desalination Plant - All documentation from design consultant received and transferred to document management system.
- Nabiac, Borefield Stage 2 - Electrical drawing packages loaded into document management system.
- Hawks Nest Sewer Treatment Plant, Upgrade Stage 2 and 3 - Completed continuous process volume comparison. Completed hydraulic diagram for continuous upgrade option. Developed options for upgrade. Completed and sent out Request for Quotation for the Feasibility Study and Preliminary Options Analysis. Options analysis populated in Business Case.
- Various sites, Step Screen Conveyors - Finalisation activities completed. Project completed.
Thank you for valuing local journalism with your subscription. While you're with us, you can also receive updates straight to your inbox from the Manning River Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.