Crews battling Victoria's highest-risk bushfire east of Melbourne have been prevented from back-burning because overnight rain has dampened grass and foliage.
The blaze at Bunyip State Park has burnt more than 15,000 hectares, and on Thursday remains uncontrolled, with a moderate alert for nearby communities.
Residents have previously been told to leave their homes as the fire reached emergency levels.
"Over the next several days crews will be back-burning strategic areas to strengthen containment lines," a joint statement from fire agencies said.
"Grass and bush are too moist from the recent rain to undertake any burning, so crews will be continuing to focus on improving access for evacuated residents so that they can return to their properties."
The process includes checking that trees nearby roads are not prone to fall after being impacted by fire.
Up to 18 fires are still burning across Victoria, less than half the number recorded earlier in the week.
Nine homes were destroyed by the Bunyip fire and another two were lost in the Yinnar blaze in central Gippsland, with at least another 23 buildings damaged or razed.
Emotions are running high in the communities as residents are given a green light to return home and survey damage.
Charges are pending against a 19-year-old Tonimbuk man after an altercation with police on Wednesday afternoon near one of the fires.
The man allegedly became aggressive towards a senior constable who was allegedly pushed as he got out of a car.
The teenager is reported to be Charlie Clarke, whose family's winery was destroyed in the Bunyip bushfire.
On the fire front, milder conditions have reduced the threat to towns across the state's east after many have remained on standby since Friday.
It's estimated that a combined total of up to 70,000 hectares of land has been burned statewide since last week.
Australian Associated Press