The annual New Year's Eve fireworks events in Taree and Forster will not go ahead due to the ongoing risks associated with large gatherings and COVID-19.
The events normally attract thousands of people to the riverbank in Taree and the lake foreshore in both Tuncurry and Forster.
Mayor David West said the difficult decision had been made in the interest of community safety.
"While the decision has been a tough one, as we do know 2020 has been a particularly difficult year for our community, it is the only decision we could make in the current circumstances," Mayor West said.
"Through liaison with key stakeholders, including NSW Police, we have determined that the event would be unable to be safely conducted without creating issues with the current social distancing requirements."
Mayor West said that while there was the chance the requirements could change between now and New Year's Eve, a decision had to be made to provide certainty.
"We are working with event sponsors and fireworks suppliers to canvas opportunities for a community celebration during next year, when COVID restrictions are eased."
Meanwhile Harrington Crowdy Chamber of Commerce announced in September the Carols by Candlelight, John Gollan Day and annual tagged fishing competition at Harrington planned for December and January have been cancelled.
Another COVID casualty is the Wingham Summertime Rodeo scheduled for January 2, however organisers are confident the event will return in 2022.
Did you know the Manning River Times is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news HERE