The Mid Coast region is expected to be hit by waves in excess of four metres over the next 24 hours.
The powerful surf is being caused by ex-Tropical Cylone Uesi, which is currently bearing down on Lord Howe Island.
The category two system lost its tropical characteristics throughout Thursday, but Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) duty forecaster, Jordan Notara, said the intensity of the system was still comparable to a tropical cyclone.
"The intensity is quite notable," Mr Notara said.
Potentially it could be bigger than last weekend.Lower North Coast Surf Life Saving branch president, Brian Wilcox
While the Mid Coast was unlikely to receive the intense rain and wind predicted for Lord Howe Island, the effects of the system would be felt in the form of powerful surf.
"The system is moving quickly enough that we won't be seeing the largest waves," Mr Notara said.
"But it's still going to be quite powerful."
He said this would be exacerbated by wave periods in excess of 12 seconds.
You may also like: Wild weather proves treacherous for seabirds
Lower North Coast Surf Life Saving branch president, Brian Wilcox, said beaches across the region were likely to be closed again this weekend.
"If we get that large, powerful swell - which it looks like we will - the beaches will be closed," he said.
Beaches were closed across the region last weekend as the coast was hit by strong winds and powerful surf, but Mr Wilcox suspected this swell could bring even larger waves.
"Potentially it could be bigger than last weekend," he said.
He urged people not to put their own lives and the lives of lifesavers at risk if conditions were dangerous.
You may also like: Farquhar Inlet and Saltwater Lagoon open to sea
"They're volunteers that are on the beaches and they shouldn't have to risk their lives if the beaches are shut," he said.
"Rock fisherman, boaters and swimmers should all be out of the water.
"You can't stop the surfers, they're always going to go in. You just hope they've got someone with them."
Mr Wilcox said a number of beaches around the region had suffered erosion as a result of last weekend's swell, and he expected they would worsen in the coming days.
"They're not looking real good at the moment," he said.
But MidCoast Council coastal management coordinator, Andrew Staniland, said while sand had moved at most beaches along the coast, no significant erosion had been recorded.
He said council would assess the beaches in the wake of the predicted surf conditions and prioritise work and repair damage to formalised access points if any occurred.
Mr Notara said ex-Tropical Cyclone Uesi would continue to track south over the weekend and was expected to reach New Zealand by late Sunday.
Stay ahead of the local news. Sign up for the Manning River Times newsletter HERE