Pacific Highway is open both north and south of Taree.
The Pacific Highway was closed from Johns River to Taree yesterday due to bushfire. Accommodation was stretched to its limits with pubs and motels full with travellers t trying to travel south on the Pacific Highway. Cars lined the highway as people we stranded not knowing where they could stay as there was no accommodation.
The current road closure situation for other roads in the MidCoast region is as follows:
- Old Bar Road is open, but Saltwater Road is closed from Old Bar Road to Wallabi Point.
- The Bucketts Way is still closed from Purfleet to Burrell Creek.
- Crowdy Head Road is closed from Harrington to Crowdy Head.
- The northern entrance to The Lakes Way is closed from the Pacific Highway to Failford Road.
- Be aware that roads may close again at any stage.
"We are expecting fire conditions on Tuesday to be similar or worse than those experienced on Friday The risk of the current fires flaring and breaching containment is real," NSW RFS district officer Stuart Robb said.
"People in the area need to remain vigilant over coming days but be aware that the risk on Tuesday is greater than we have seen to date.
"Think about the conditions. These will be similar or worse to those we have seen over the past week. Fires will start easily and spread rapidly. The safest option is to leave on the morning of a bad fire weather day," Mr Robb said.