Alby's mother 'tried to save' him

GONE TOO SOON: Three-year-old Alby Davis died tragically on Monday, but the community is rallying to support his family. Picture: Murphy Photography

GONE TOO SOON: Three-year-old Alby Davis died tragically on Monday, but the community is rallying to support his family. Picture: Murphy Photography

The mother of a “beautiful” three-year-old boy who tragically died after choking on a ball has defended herself against those criticising her. 

On Saturday, Anna Davis – Alby’s mum – posted on Instagram saying she was within reach of her son when the incident happened. 

“I was three feet away from Alby when the incident occurred and was by his side within seconds,” the post said. 

“I tried to save our beautiful boy (including, but not only, undertaking CPR for 16 excruciating minutes until paramedics arrived).”

The post also dispelled rumors the ball was unsafe for a child of Alby’s age to play with. 

“The ball was larger than the 50c piece/film canister-size recommendation for toys given to young children,” the post said.

“The ball packaging states ‘not for children under three years’ - being only a few days away from turning four, Alby was almost one-year older than this advice,” she said.  

Ms Davis also thanked those who had shown their support to the family. 

“Knowing fellow mamas and papas are encircling our family, sharing in our grief, and clutching their babies a little tighter, brings us great comfort,” she said.

“Our golden boy will live on in us all.”

Alby passed away just days before his fourth birthday. 

A GoFundMe page was set up by the family’s friend, with an aim of raising $40,000. 

More than $240,000 has been raised in less than three days. 

Alby is survived by his two older siblings, Sage and Acre.

The Coroner’s Office confirmed it had begun investigating the death of a child on Tasmania’s North-West Coast on Monday.

This story Mother ‘tried to save’ three-year-old son, defends herself against critics first appeared on The Examiner.