Taree Fire Station Commander Peter Willard has encouraged residents to wary of the fire dangers in your home over the Christmas and New Year period.
With Christmas lights and other electrical displays still set up, residents are encouraged to use only one item per power socket and to not overload power boards or piggy back double adaptors.
To ensure maximum power board safety, make sure it has both overload protection and earth leakage protection devices incorporated.
Only use decorative lights and electronic decorations that have and Australian Standard label and follow instructions on set up and operation.
These should all be turned off before going to bed
Lights and electronic decorations should be checked for faults, worn plugs and frayed cords.
Inspect the plugs and leads of used decorative lights to ensure they are in good working order.
Commader Willard added that decorative lights can become very hot so they should be kept away from children and flammable material such as wrapping paper, decorations or curtains.
“Burning candles should not be left unattended,” he said.
Candles should be left in a safe position away from Christmas trees or other flammable material and out of reach of children.
“These need to be extinguished if you leave the room and always before going to bed,” Commander Willard said.
With many people heading outside for barbecues, always ensure that it is in a safe, working condition before lighting and that it is always in the care of a responsible adult when in use.
Lighters and matches should be kept away from children and educate that they are “tools not toys” to only be used by responsible adults.
If you have a garage or shed, remember to take extra precaution with any stored chemicals and fuels.
If you live in a bushfire prone area, keep the ground around your home clear of leaves and other litter and remember to clean your gutters regularly.
Residents are encouraged to have a sufficient number of working smoke alarms throughout the house that are tested regularly and are supported by a written home escape plan in case of fire.
Residents are reminded to call Triple Zero (000) will all fire related concerns.
Check out the Fire and Rescue NSW website for more information.