Harrington restaurant damaged in fire

A restaurant in Harrington was severely damaged following a fire on Thursday, November 16.

At around 2pm, Rural Fire Service (RFS) and Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews from Harrington, Taree and Lansdowne were dispatched to the site.

The Harrington Rural Fire Service crew was first to arrive, shortly followed by the Taree FRNSW team.

Taree Fire Station Commander Peter Willard said the fire was believed to have started in the kitchen.

“The breathing apparatus crew and thermal imaging were used to help distinguish the fire,” Commander Willard said. 

He added that smoke, heat and water caused a partial collapse of the restaurant’s roof. 

The fire was extinguished before it could spread to other shops below.

“It was a good co-operative effort from all the crews involved,” he said.

A shop below was cleared in case the fire spread. Photo: Helen Manusu.

A shop below was cleared in case the fire spread. Photo: Helen Manusu.

A shop below, Hair on Harrington, was forced to remove items in case the fire spread. 

Owner Matilda Kiernan thanked the community for their assistance.

“The response from the community was amazing,” she said.

“Twenty people were in here straight away helping to get stuff out.”

As power was cut to the site, Matilda added that a butchery next door may have suffered damaged to products in a cool room.