The Chatham High School hall was filled with raucous laughter and sentimental tears when the year 12 finallawards and farewell assembly took place on Thursday, September 29.
The assembly commenced with the National Anthem and Principal’s Address and was followed with the induction of the 2017 school captains and vice captains and the presentation of academic awards (see below).
The assembly was interspersed with musical items performed by students and a slideshow presentation of photographs of year 12 students compared with their year seven photographs, to much mirth.
Awards were given to each of the captains, vice captains and SRC (Student Representative Council) leaders, followed by the sport and special awards.
ll SRC students from years seven to 11 fave farewell speeches to the year 12 students, thanking them for being exceptional role models and wishing them good luck in the HSC. This was followed by speeches from the two school captains, Paige Brett and Aiden Morris.
Sian Walton and Aiden Morris presented a gift of two Aquafil drinking fountains to the school on behalf of year 12, followed by an address to the year 12 advisors, Mrs Beckett and Mrs Joon, which left them in tears, as they were described as “beautiful, kind and compassionate women” and real mother figures to the year 12 body.
Mrs Joon then gave an emotional speech on behalf of herself and Mrs Beckett as year 12 advsiors. She thanked the parents and carers for being the primary educators of the students, and her teaching colleagues and non-teaching staff. In particular she thanked Mrs Beckett. “I would do anything for you,” she said.
Her address to the year 12 students showed just what a close connection the advisors and the students have with each other, and had everyone in the audience reaching for tissues. She told them it was a privilege and a pleasure to be their year advisor, and passionately urged them to aspire to greater things.
“It’s time to move on – climb new mountains, achieve new heights, live life to the fullest and give everything your best,” she said.
The event concluded with the presentation of portfolios, and jubilant cheers and applause as the Class of 2016 left the stage and exited the hall.
View photos of the final assembly at www.manningrivertimes.com.au/multimedia/.
Major academic awards:
Year Advisor Awards:
- Nicholas Burley
- Kulka Fahey
- Beau Lambert
- Summah Lyall
- Jack Noble
- Bruwyn Tisdell
Academic Excellence Awards:
- Paige Brett
- Rachel Emmett
- Tori Hardes
- Abbie Loretan
- Tara Louis
- Jesse Osborn
Sporting and special awards:
- Brett, Paige – Mid Coast Connect VET Award for Excellence Award, Above and Beyond Award.
- Dargan, Zoe – Quota Bursary
- Doran, Gemma – Caltex All Rounder Award, ADF Long Tan Leadership Award
- Hazard, Jake – Sportsman of the Year Award
- Loretan, Abbie – (ACHPER) Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, Reuben F Scarf Award
- Louis, Tara – Bell Trophy
- Morris, Aiden – Cultural Award
- Napier, Nathan – Cleavers Tyre Service Chatham High School Rugby League Player of the Year
- Noble, Jack – Dorothy Mackellar Poetry Award
- Osborn, Jesse – University of New England Vice Chancellor’s High Achievement Prize, Alan Tickle Award for Excellence in Mathematics. Merit Scheme - Principals Award, Merit Scheme - Student of the year
- Saunders, Nathan – Nova Trophy for improvement from Yr 7 - 12
- Walton, Sian, – (ACHPER) Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation