A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for a number of areas – including the Mid-North Coast.
Thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology warned at 2pm.
Locations which may be affected include Grafton, Taree, Armidale, Tamworth, Moree and Lightning Ridge.
People in the following areas should be on the alert: North West Slopes and Plains, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Hunter, Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains and the Upper Western forecast districts.
* Move your car under cover;
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains;
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water;
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue;
* Unplug computers and appliances;
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES on 132 500.